Why a National Entrepreneurs’ Day?
District of Columbia,Massachusetts
Jun 09, 2010
One of the highlights from the Global Entrepreneurship Week/USA Partners Forum was the participation of Siamak Thaggados, one of the two young entrepreneurs behind Grasshopper — a virtual phone system designed with entrepreneurs in mind. Siamak and his partner David Hauser are leading a grassroots campaign to get President Obama to declare Friday, November 19 — during Global Entrepreneurship Week — as National Entrepreneurs’ Day.
After Siamak talked about the push, I was asked by several partners why we were promoting a single ‘Day’ when we already had an established ‘Week’. It’s a valid question, especially considering that President Obama signed a proclamation naming last November 16 - 22 as National Entrepreneurship Week — not to mention Secretary of State Hillary Clinton endorsing Global Entrepreneurship Week during the same period.
I joked that it was Siamak and David’s ability to reach the media, as evidenced by recent pieces in the Boston Globe and Inc. magazine.
But truthfully, the main reason is that the two of them, 2003 graduates from Babson College, illustrate what GEW is all about — young entrepreneurs who pursue their passions in search of innovative and creative solutions to problems and challenges.
And they are not alone. Joining them in the call for a National Entrepreneurs’ Day are the following young entrepreneurs (with links to their Twitter pages):
- Adam Toren - Founder, YoungEntrepreneur.com
- Allan Branch - Founder, LessEverything
- Andrew Warner - Founder, Mixergy
- Babak Nivi - Founder, VentureHacks
- Cameron Herold - Founder, BackPocket COO
- Dan Martell - Founder, Flowtown
- Dave McClure - Angel, Founders Fund
- Des Traynor - Founder, Contrast
- Devesh Dwivedi - Founder, Entrepreneur In Making
- Dharmesh Shah - Founder, HubSpot
- Eoghan McCabe - Founder, Contrast
- Ishita Gupta - Founder, Fear.less
- Jason Calacanis - Founder, Mahalo
- Jason Fried - Founder, 37Signals
- Jeff Bussgang - General Partner, Flybridge Capital
- Joe Hobot - Founder, MWD
- Jonathan Mendez - Founder, RAMP Digital
- Lance Walley - Founder, Chargify
- Mark Fasciano - Founder, Karma411
- Matt Mullenweg - Founder, WordPress
- Matt Wilson - Founder, Under30CEO
- Michael Holthouse - Founder, Prepared4life
- Mike McDerment - Founder, FreshBooks
- Noah Everett - Founder, TwitPic
- Pat Condon - Founder, Rackspace
- Peter Shankman - Founder, HARO
- Richard Banfield - Founder, Fresh Tilled Soil
- Sean Ellis - Founder, 12in6
- Sean Rad - Founder, Ad.ly
- Steven Bristol - Founder, LessEverything
- Tobi Lütke - Founder, Shopify
That is why we do what we do with GEW — to give a voice to the next generation of entrepreneurs.
Join us and call on President Barack Obama to declare Friday, November 19 as National Entrepreneurs’ Day.