Oklahoma Tops in US for Entrepreneurship
May 24, 2010
A recent study by the Kauffman Foundation highlighted by the Policy Dialogue on Entrepreneurship shows that entrepreneurial activity in the US is as high now as it has been in the past 14 years — including the dot-com boom of the late ’90s.
Perhaps more surprising to some is that the states with the highest rates of activity are Oklahoma and Montana with 470 per 100,000 adults creating businesses each month.
You can bet that one group of people who weren’t surprised were the folks organizing the 2010 Creativity World Forum — a featured event of Global Entrepreneurship Week.
The 7th Annual 2010 Creativity World Forum, held November 15-17, 2010 in Oklahoma City, is an annual conference on entrepreneurial creativity that brings together entrepreneurs, knowledge workers and policymakers from around the globe. As part of the Creativity World Forum’s launch of Global Entrepreneurship Week — where 10 million people will gather at 30,000 events in more than 100 countries — Bo Fishback of the Kauffman Foundation will direct a discussion on creative new efforts to unleash ideas and push innovation into the marketplace. Fishback, a serial entrepreneur and one of the world’s leading voices on stimulating entrepreneurial activity, will be joined by leaders of innovative early-stage accelerators and others involved in advancing high-impact, high-growth entrepreneurship.
The event already has an impressive list of speakers confirmed, including:
- Blake Mycoskie
- Nadia Comeneci, Olympic champion & entrepreneur
- Pranav Mistry, inventor of Sixth Sense
- Matt Brown, co–founder and Play Czar of big BOING, LLC
- Dennis Cheek, senior fellow at the Kauffman Foundation
- Carol Coletta, president & CEO of CEOs for Cities and host and producer of the nationally–syndicated public radio show Smart City
- Mick Cornett, Mayor of Oklahoma City
- David Edwards, creator, writer, and educator, teaches at Harvard University and is founder and director of Le Laboratoire in Paris, France
- Bo Fishback, vice president for entrepreneurship at the Kauffman Foundation
- Tim Jones, president & CEO of Artscape
- George Kaiser, president, CEO and owner of GBK Corporation
- Aubrey McClendon, chief executive officer, chairman, and co–founder of Chesapeake Energy
- Linda Naiman, corporate alchemist and founder of Creativity at Work
- Scott Noppe–Brandon, executive director of Lincoln Center Institute
- Dan Pink, author of several provocative, bestselling books—latest “A Whole New Mind”
- David Pogue, technology correspondent for the New York Times and CBS News and has a popular daily blog, “Pogue’s Posts”
- John Richels, president of Devon
- Sir Ken Robinson, internationally–renowned expert in the field of creativity and innovation in business and education
- Tom Ward, chairman, CEO and president of SandRidge Energy, Inc.
Don’t miss this lineup… register now.
[photo courtesy of eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%34%32%37%39%34%37%34%32%40%4e%30%38%22%3e%34%32%37%39%34%37%34%32%40%4e%30%38%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b'))/" target="_blank">Sooner4Life]