GEW/USA News: Catching Up with our Network in 2013
Chelsea Grieco @C_Grieco
Jan 21, 2013
Although GEW/USA is celebrated during one week each November, it is fueled by the year-round efforts of more than 1,000 partners throughout the country. Each week, we will be highlighting organizations within the GEW network as they build on the momentum from GEW 2012 and continue to further their entrepreneurial ecosystems.
Below are several recent examples:
- The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the Kansas City-based organization responsible for GEW, has announced the recipients of the Kauffman Emerging Scholars Program. The program recognizes the achievements of young scholars who are making significant contributions to research in entrepreneurship.
- Seven students from Bremerton High School in Washington qualified for the state level DECA conference last week.
- The DECA Club at King George High School in Virginia has helped several groups recently. The club donated $2,000 to the Muscular Dystrophy Association and in lieu of the school shooting in Newton, CT, did fundraising to raise money for those affected by the tragedy.
- Startup Weekend is heading to NYC on January 25th to focus on mobile startups. It’s a 54 hour event where developers, designers, markets, product managers, and budding entrepreneurs gather together to share ideas, form teams and spend the weekend building and launching a startup.
- ACE Cash Express, Inc., a leading retailer of financial services, supports the effort to educate students about workforce readiness, entrepreneurship and financial literacy through Junior Achievement and has made an annual donation to the organization for $25,000.
If you are a GEW partner and would like us to feature your organization’s event on our weekly update, please send event information to email@example.com.